Are you in the market for a computer? Not sure if you need a desktop or laptop? Maybe you are looking to replace an outdated desktop which is very slow or perhaps you need another desktop. Do you need the portability or mobility that a laptop offers? Which is the best option? When planning to buy a new computer, most people end up asking – would it be a good idea for me to purchase a desktop or laptop computer?
Desktop or Laptop?
The answer to this question depends upon the individual who is in the market to buy the computer. Some questions you need to ask yourself before making a choice are:
- How are you going to utilize the PC?
- Would you like to add or manipulate the internal components of the computer down the line?
- How regularly do you travel?
- Do you need external components (peripherals such as web cam, printers, etc.)?
Here are some important factors that you need to take into consideration before making the best suited choice.
Laptops and Notebooks are generally slower than desktops. However, there are several factors that have an impact on the speed of a computer, and there are some laptop variants which are faster than some desktops.
- Laptops run on battery power. Their internal parts start to slow down or underperform after a brief span of non-use, and the battery needs to be charged to bring it back to life.
- Most top-of-the-line laptop hard drives clock a speed of 5400rpm, whereas the budget segment desktop hard drives are 7200rpm. More RPMS means more speed, but it also requires more power.
- Laptop processors are less powerful and require a lesser amount of energy. This means that a desktop processor can perform more operations in the same amount of time than a laptop processor.
To learn more about speed related issues with your processor contact a quality computer repair service in Winnipeg.
The basic nature of laptops don’t give as great of ergonomics as desktop computers. If your day-to-day operations demand long hours of work on the computer, and you are looking to buy a laptop, you might not be as comfortable with the typically smaller keyboard and smaller screen than your standard desktop.
Another important factor is the possibility of theft. Laptops are portable devices that can get stolen easily. This is why you need to keep a close eye on your laptop and guard them carefully when you travel.
Laptops are highly portable and you can carry them wherever you go. You can work on your laptop when you are travelling, on the couch or even in your bathroom. On the contrary, with a desktop you will never have this freedom. However with portability comes responsibility, laptops get dropped and destroyed all the time, be careful! But if you are not looking for portability, buy a desktop. If you have no intentions of moving your computer from place to place, save your valuable money and purchase a faster desktop.
Usually, laptops are more costly than desktops. A laptop with the same specifications as a desktop computer will cost you around 25% more. According to a current market survey, the longevity of an average laptop is usually lower than the longevity of an average desktop computer. In simple words, laptops are portable but they come at a higher price.
If you are struggling to choose between a desktop or a laptop due to its price, it’s best to contact your local computer repair company in Winnipeg to discuss your options.
Now that the important factors are out of the way, when it comes to purchasing a computer, we are provided with an endless list of attractive options to choose from. If you are caught up in the dilemma on whether to choose a laptop or a desktop, here are a few thoughts that might help.
—You might also be interested in this article: What to look for when hiring a PC computer repair company
- Desktops come in many various parts such as CPU, monitor, sound system, mouse and keyboards. This makes it much more difficult for thieves to carry them out of your home or office. As a result, they are less likely to get stolen.
- Since, it is easier to add or remove a component from your desktop, it can be upgraded or repaired quite easily.
- Desktops are highly durable and last longer than laptops.
- It costs more than a laptop. Although, you can find laptops fairly cheap, their requirements and specifications don’t come close to the type of desktop that you can afford at a similar price. You can find very good laptops that are already core I 7 and comes with 1 tb rom but they are far from being cheap.
- The monitor that comes with a desktop offers a greater resolution than the laptop screen at a similar price range. Plus, high-screen resolution can easily drain away the charge of your laptop battery.
- They come in various shapes, sizes and models with the latest ones being very sleek and stylish.
- If you are an avid gamer, the desktops are the best option for you. You can easily add plenty of customizations such as better graphics cards, increased power and sound cards to name a few. However, it is always best to contact a local PC repair service in Winnipeg to get proper clarity on the issue.
- It is not portable. So, you cannot carry them around with you.
- They are fully dependent on electricity. So, if there is an issue with your electricity supply, especially power outage, you will not be able to use it, unless and until you have an alternative power source like UPS attached to it.
- It is no longer considered as trendy or stylish as a laptop or a tablet.
- The most important benefit of a laptop is its portability. You can easily carry it anywhere around. Moreover, you can work with it anyplace you like and anywhere you like, be it your hotel room, coffee shop on a couch or bench.
- Since it is rechargeable, you can use it even without a direct power supply.
- It is the most trendy and stylish out of the two. A laptop looks very attractive and comes in different shapes, styles and colors.
- They come in compact design, as a result, laptops do not consume much space unlike a desktop that is heavy and takes up plenty of your room-space.
- Risk of being stolen quite easily. Since it is light and portable, thieves can easily pick them up and bolt away at any time.
- In addition to being stolen, it also runs the risk of accidents. You can easily drop it, so it needs to be handled with extra caution.
- It comes with a limited battery life. The battery life deteriorates quite easily from prolonged use.
- It is not as easy to upgrade as a desktop. Laptops come with customized design and components. If one of the parts is damaged, you might be forced to have the entire laptop replaced.
- Laptop screens do not offer higher resolution. In addition to that, LCD screens and graphics technology do not go well hand in hand as a large CRT monitor and a dedicated graphic card in a desktop do.
- Some people find that the keyboard in a laptop is not as comfortable and functional as it is in a desktop PC.
Laptops and desktops both have their own advantages and disadvantages and are very similar in their applications to the average users. Deciding on which one to buy, you should know your needs and wants. If you are an avid gamer, opting for a desktop is a far more viable option due to its sleek upgrading facilities. However, if you are a traveler or a writer and prefer comfort and flexibility then laptops are a better option.
Although, laptops cannot challenge all the benefits that a desktop can offer, the benefits will increase with time. Whether a laptop can replace a desktop for good is dependent on the type of work that you do. So, make your decision wisely. Do ample research and talk to others who have had the experience to use both.