Choosing the right speakers for your PC influences your overall audio experience. Good speakers enhance the sound quality of music, movies, and games. On the other hand, poor-quality speakers give a distorted or low-quality sound that is unpleasant to listen to. Below is an overview of different PC speakers and the factors to consider before purchasing speakers.
Types of speakers for PC
The abundance of PC speakers makes it difficult to find the most suitable for your needs. Understanding the pros and cons of each type of speaker will keep you informed on which speaker will work best for your setup and preferences. Here are the most common types of speakers for PC.
- Desktop Speakers: These are the most popular speakers for PC. They come in various configurations, such as 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, or 7.1.
2.0 speakers are basic speakers with two drivers and do not include a subwoofer. 2.1 speakers have two drivers and a separate subwoofer to handle bass frequencies. 5.1 and 7.1 speakers have five or seven drivers respectively and come with a subwoofer for bass.
- Soundbars: Soundbars are long and slim speakers designed to sit under or next to a computer monitor. They are great for people who want better sounds than their built-in PC speakers. However, they don’t have a lot of space for a full-size speaker system.
- Bookshelf Speakers: These are larger speakers designed to sit on a desk or bookshelf. They are available in different sizes, from small to large. They offer excellent sound quality, especially when paired with a subwoofer.
- Portable Speakers: These are small, battery-powered speakers for those who want to have their speakers with them. Portable speakers connect to a PC via Bluetooth or an audio cable.
Related: Top 20 Best Wireless Bluetooth Speakers
Factors to consider when choosing speakers for PC
It is important to consider the necessary basic factors before purchasing a speaker for your PC. By carefully considering these factors, you can choose speakers that best match your specific requirements and enhance your overall listening experience.
1. Sound quality
This is the most important factor to consider when selecting speakers for your PC. The sound quality of the speakers impacts your overall listening experience. Look for speakers that offer a balanced sound with clear treble, midrange, and bass frequencies. A balanced sound means the frequencies are well-represented, and no one frequency overpowers the others. The wider the frequency response, the more accurately the speakers can reproduce audio. Investing in speakers with excellent sound qualities ensures an immersive audio experience.
2. Size and design
These include factors such as size, shape, and color, which affect how the speakers fit into your workspace and complement your PC setup. It is important to consider the available space on your desk or in your room and choose a design that fits your needs. If you prioritize aesthetics, choose a design that complements your setup and fits with your style. On the other hand, if sound quality is your top priority, look for speakers that have a design optimized for acoustics and dispersion. Consider usability and aesthetics when selecting speakers, and choose a design that best fits your needs.
When selecting speakers for your PC, connectivity options are essential. The most common connectivity options include 3.5mm audio cables, USB, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. The choice of connectivity option depends on your needs and preferences. It is crucial to consider factors such as convenience, sound quality, and reliability. For instance, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi speakers are ideal for a wire-free setup, while 3.5mm audio cables or USB connections provide better sound quality and reliability. Therefore, evaluate your preferences to select the most appropriate connectivity option for your PC speakers.
4. Power source
Power is a crucial factor to consider when selecting speakers for your PC. This determines how loud they can play and whether they can produce the desired volume level without distortion. Typically, speaker power is measured in watts, with higher wattage indicating more power. It’s also essential to consider whether the speakers are active or passive. Active speakers have a built-in amplifier, while passive speakers require an external amplifier to power them. Active speakers are simpler to set up and provide better sound quality, but they are more expensive than passive speakers. On the other hand, passive speakers are more flexible in terms of the amplifier used but require additional equipment and setup time. Therefore, evaluate your room size, desired volume level, and budget to select speakers with appropriate power requirements.
Price is an essential factor to consider when choosing speakers for your PC. PC speakers are available at different price points, from budget-friendly options to high-end models. It’s essential to determine your budget and prioritize your favorite features. More expensive speakers offer better sound quality and are generally more attractive. However, budget-friendly options can still provide adequate sound quality and connectivity options for most users. When selecting speakers for your PC, consider your budget and look for models that provide the features you need at a price point that fits your budget.
Additionally, consider the warranty and customer service offered by the manufacturer, if any issues arise with your speakers.
Related: Best Marshall Speakers
How to test speakers before buying
Testing speakers before buying helps you make a more informed decision. Here are some ways to test speakers before making a purchase:
- Test with different sounds: To get a good idea of the speaker’s sound quality, listen to different sounds. This will give you a sense of how speakers handle different frequencies.
- Adjust the EQ settings: Adjust the equalizer settings on your PC or mobile device to see how the speaker responds to different frequencies. This will determine whether the speakers provide a balanced sound or if they tend to favor certain frequencies.
- Volume: Crank up the volume to see how loud the speakers can get without distortion. This is crucial for events like parties.
- Compatibility: Check if the speakers are compatible with your PC or mobile device. Also, check the speaker’s connectivity options to ensure they work with the inputs on your device.
- Read reviews: Look for reviews from other users who have purchased the same speakers. This will give you an insight into the speakers’ performance and potential issues to be aware of.
Related: 8 Best Bluetooth Speakers With Led Lights
Conclusion – How to choose speakers for your PC
Choosing the perfect speakers for your PC enhances your overall listening experience. When selecting speakers, consider the sound quality, connectivity options, power, design, and price. Additionally, testing speakers before purchasing can help you get the best value for your money. With the right speakers, you can enjoy a crystal-clear sound and immerse yourself in your favorite music, movies, and games.